Tuesday, February 01, 2005

So predictable, it hurts

Today's post is about the Gomery commission. My title does not refer to the obvious fact that Gomery, backed by the Martin government, is not stepping down from the inquiry. What I am referring to is the story in today's Globe and Mail that the inquiry has now cost $60 million, a good $20 million more than the annual cost of the sponsorship program. Who didn't see that one coming a light year away?

I have never been able to get myself riled up about the sponsorship scandal. Yes, they should not have done it. But as government graft goes, it seems like small potatoes to me. Politicians of all stripes, in all periods, routinely engage in political favoritism when doling out contracts. It seems to me that the only reason that this case is getting such attention is because the program that got the funding was such a spectacular failure, and that those who benefitted (if the allegations are true) were for the most part Quebecois, which is always a surefire way to get the dander up in Ontario and Western Canada.

Trot out the sacrificial lambs, and let's get this over with.

Recommend this Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home