Saturday, December 03, 2005

Heather Mallick, MIA

Heather Mallick is one of the main reasons why I subscribe to the Globe & Mail. I sometimes (although not often) disagree with her opinions, but her delightfully constructed rants against the excesses of the right wing are usually the big highlight of my Saturday morning reading. I was thus very disappointed to read, via Antonia Zerbisias's blog (see the entries on December 1st), that Heather Mallick has resigned her Saturday Focus column over a conflict with the editors at the Globe. This is a major loss for that paper. While I will continue to read that paper, and enjoy discovering what HM bought this week in the Style section, her serious column - a much-needed counterpoint to Margaret Wente's almost weekly "Why I love my gas-guzzling SUV" column - was a breath of fresh air.

This week's replacement, a column by Drew Hayden Taylor about political correctness, aboriginal humour and authenticity, was an enjoyable read. However, it is not a substitute for Ms. Mallick's incisive writing, although pieces such as his should appear more frequently in the Globe.

While I'm deconstructing recent changes at the Globe & Mail, I've also been disappointed by the disappearance of the "Academia" column by John Fraser. I think that current university research, particularly in the humanities and social sciences, needs more public exposure, and that column was a nice start.

Hopefully the Globe's editors will realize the error of their ways, and come to terms with Heather Mallick. A good national newspaper needs strong columnists from all points along the political spectrum.

Recommend this Post

1 Comments:

At 12:18 am, Blogger J. Kelly said...

I know it's supposed to be good to "stand on principle", but I can't help but feel that sometimes it is just stubbornness. That Mallick cancelled her subscription to The Guardian because of one article, one that subsequently has been taken down from the Guardian's website and has been criticized by the Guardian's public editor, seems like carrying "standing on principle" to the extreme -- if I stopped reading every magazine or newspaper that I've got angry at a single time, the only thing I'd read is my own blog.

I'll respect her resigning her column over a single editorial decision, but frankly I'm more fond of the stay-and-fight mentality... Does she just want to preach to the converted over at Rabble from now on?

I must admit to not being a huge fan of Mallick's. Some weeks I thought she was excellent, but usually I found her too blinkered or antagonistic. And her column this summer comparing third-world debt to her mortgage was just the latest to thoroughly drive me up the wall.

In terms of the Globe's lefties, I'm more of a fan of Salutin. And, of course, I'm a Saundersophile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home