Sunday, October 08, 2006

Because it's Thanksgiving...

... and I don't feel like any serious political commentary, I give you this link instead:

United Poultry Concerns, Inc.'s page about Turkeys. This is a poultry activist group that I encountered at a conference a year ago. The head of the organization delivered this speech at the Ninth Annual Conference on Holidays, Ritual, Festival, Celebration, and Public Display at Bowling Green State University, where I was also presenting my research. [I was on a different panel with my Canada Day research.] This brochure was available for the delegates, as well as a copy of a book by the organization's head.

I offer these links largely without comment - they pretty much speak for themselves. I don't think the organization is completely out to lunch when it comes to some of the issues about how livestock is raised in North America. But let's just say that I don't find all of their material completely convincing either, and we're making turkey for tonight's dinner.

Recommend this Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home