Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ontario election

So apparently an election has been called in Ontario. Who should I vote for? The governing Liberals of Dalton McGuinty, who hasn't done a great deal to excite me, other than proposing to ban fresh sushi-grade fish a few years back(and that wasn't the good kind of excitement)? The Conservatives of John Tory, who want to undermine the public school system, and perhaps allow the teaching of creationism - or maybe not? (Oops, perhaps I should be saying PC party, since the party seems to be running scared from the Conservative brand - so much so that the word does not appear on the entry page of their website). The tired NDP of Howard Hampton, who are "fighting for working families," a slogan that gets under my skin like no other, and are still trying to rid themselves of the albatross of the Bob Rae years? Or the Green Party of a leader who has made such an impression on me that I had to go look up his name (it's Frank de Jong) and have no chance of forming government?

As you can probably tell, while I'm pleased to be back in my home province, its political life is not exactly filling me with glee and excitement. I will, however, be diligent in trying to decide which way to vote, and inform you, my friendly readers, with what I find out about issues that are near and dear to my heart. I'll also attempt to put up some content about the referendum on changing the electoral system to a Mixed-Member Proportional system, which I am supporting. I'll also be placing a particular focus on my home riding of Guelph.

In the meantime, my first observation on the campaign is that I find it curious that in a province with a sizeable Franco-Ontarian minority community and a French-language services act, only one of the four aforementioned parties - the Liberals - has bothered to create a bilingual webpage. It's not like this election date wasn't set a long way in advance. If I were a francophone, I'd find this very insulting indeed.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Recommend this Post

4 Comments:

At 11:52 pm, Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist said...

proposing to ban fresh sushi-grade fish a few years back

Um...what? How would sushi restaurants serve their customers?

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

If you're supporting MMP (which I am pleased to hear) would you consider putting their logo up at your blogsite and add your blog to their list of blogs/bloggers who support it?

 
At 8:49 am, Blogger Matt said...

Scott - consider it done. Eventually I'll get a post up about various elections in Canadian history that have been horrifically skewed because of FPTP.

IP - Sushi restaurants would have had to freeze all their fish, and then thaw it out. That particular proposal was eventually axed after a massive outcry from the restaurant industry.

 
At 3:31 pm, Blogger Mark Greenan said...

That's a purdy MMP button you've got there.

I'm glad I can add an up-and-coming political historian to the list of academic supporters of MMP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home